Te'o: Victimized/naive or In on it for publicity?
 Brought to you by the Coast 2 Coast Hoops Network

Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter  

View Poll Results: What's your take?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • He was a victim of a hoax, naive, and/or stupid

1 16.67%
  • He was in on it the whole time for publicity (Heisman, extra coverage, etc.)

5 83.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By LJTucson
  • 1 Post By Palpalife

Thread: Te'o: Victimized/naive or In on it for publicity?

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar

Te'o: Victimized/naive or In on it for publicity?

The big news of the day is this crazy story about Notre Dame (Heisman runner up) Linebacker Manti Te'o.

If you haven't heard and/or live under a rock here's the story: Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Manti and Notre Dame claim it was a hoax and that he was victimized...Story of Manti Te'o girlfriend and her death apparently a hoax - ESPN
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

The idea that he thought she was a real person and was duped is just ludicrous - the relationship had existed for three years and he claims they never met? Yeah, I don't think so.

Hate to see so many here (assumed...) and sports media in general believe the worst about this young man. Disappointing, but realistic.

Disclosures: 1) Long-time ND despiser!! Long & old-time friend of 40 years whose blood is green - most obnoxious sports fans in the world. 2) Two uncles on one side of family married into LDS church. Tremendous & good people, LOTS of cuz'ns and extended family. Fair amount of naivete and lots of trust. Most live in the MT, ID part of the country.

Do not believe I'll be proven wrong, and I do believe this young man. To all those who have no doubt he's lying and firmly believe he's a crook & only after his own best interest; often your belief about others reflects directly on your own values and beliefs. Be cautious in judging him.

We have also NOT yet heard from him, and I'm certain he will want to address all this himself.

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Either way his image is taking a huge hit. If he fell for this fake girlfriend then he's very dumb, gullible, and kind of a loser. If he made it up or turned into something more to get publicity then he's a smuck that deserves everyone's disrespect.

I would lean towards him knowing this "girlfriend" of his was fake. I mean if you have a real relationship with someone you've never seen or met then that's pretty sad. I think he was in on it, there is skype...if you have a clue you would catch on at some point that this person was not real so I don't buy that he could have a relationship with someone for so long without seeing or meeting them.
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

If he did not know - is he gullible? You bet your ***! I don't know much of his background, so I cannot comment. Can't speak for his religion either, don't know it well enough. Hell, don't even know if he's LDS or not?!

There are a TON of folks around this country who are gullible - that's what keeps cons in business. Doesn't mean he's an idiot - just not real used to the real world. Are there people around who are willing, even eager, to take advantage of someone's naivete - LOTS!

Something about schadenfreude comes to mind. Everyone likes to see another person get dumped on. If he has this awesome talent, but is ignorant of what the real world is like - we all know that that's going to come crashing down sooner or later. His time may have just arrived.

I'm ignorant enough that I do not have a clue what it would do to his image. To the right nfl team, it may not make that much difference. Also, image varies from person to person - he just might not give a ****.

Veteran
    I do not know if he was in on it but he is immature.

Veteran
    It's hard to believe that this wasn't a publicity stunt that went horribly wrong.

If I were an NFL team, I wouldn't care. A fictitious dying girlfriend is better than an actual girlfriend that was abused. The kid didn't commit a crime & he's one hell of a linebacker. This was an extremely strange situation & I'm sure there will be a lot of details to be released in the near future.

I agree there are a lot of gullible people who get duped every day. My opinion is based on the length of the supposed relationship. I don't care how naive you are - you don't go three years without meeting someone you are involved in face-to-face. If he perpetuated it to save face after realizing he was conned, I can understand that as well but I just don't see it. If that makes me a cynic so be it...

Quote Originally Posted by LJTucson View Post
    I agree there are a lot of gullible people who get duped every day. My opinion is based on the length of the supposed relationship. I don't care how naive you are - you don't go three years without meeting someone you are involved in face-to-face. If he perpetuated it to save face after realizing he was conned, I can understand that as well but I just don't see it. If that makes me a cynic so be it...
    this, sweet mother of pearl, this!
    IT'S MILLER TIME likes this.

Last edited by LJTucson; 01-18-2013 at 11:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread