Pac-12 to 14? Will not doing it help the Big 12?
 Brought to you by the Coast 2 Coast Hoops Network

Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter  

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pac-12 to 14? Will not doing it help the Big 12?

Pac-12 to 14? Will not doing it help the Big 12?

All of the major conferences are moving to atleast 14 teams. My fear is that the Big 12(who currently is our biggest competitor) takes the best non Pac-12 teams left on the west coast (BYU, SDSU and even Boise st. for example) and then a couple years down the road when the Pac decides to expand we have less quality to chose from and no large markets left to get into. San Diego and BYU both offer huge markets(BYU being national) and both put out quality athletics. SDSU could use some help in football but that would easily be remedied being a major conference school in the recruiting grounds of California. The only reason I dont mention UNLV is their academics are horrible and the athletic department as a whole isnt there yet IMO. I also fear once the Big12 has added these schools now the west coast recruiting in all sports is opened up a little bit more to the Big 12. And if the Big 12 ever does come up with a network then we would have direct competition in our markets instead of a basic monopoly of the west coast. In no way do I want to lower the quality of play in the PAC but I dont see that happening with BYU or SDSU. So what are your thoughts? Will delaying what I feel is an inevitable move end up hurting the conference down the road?

Veteran
    If the big 12 does add sdsu and byu and boise and afa, along with a couple of big easy sckools.
    Wouldnt leave much us to choose from.
    But unless we get into Texas markets, it may not matter.

I would also like to see the Network expand during the nights they show re-runs or w/e they could cover west coast all star games high school and college, high school state championships etc and have a few more studio shows including recruiting shows

Boise and SDSU are, for the immediate future, going to be in the Mountain West. At this point, with the development of the FBS playoff, and the current status of MWC basketball, they aren't going anywhere.

This is what I mean:

1) Wyoming, CSU, New Mexico, SDSU, UNLV all with 2 losses or less this year.
    2) There were 4 (2012), 2 (2011), 4 (2010), and 2 (2009) MWC teams in the dance over the past couple of years.
    3) The conference just signed a really big TV deal and have a couple of teams in major media markets (Vegas, San Diego, Albuquerque)
    4) The teams are all located in close geographic proximity, much more so than they would be in the Big 12, Big East, etc.

Boise just turned down an invite to the "Big" East to stay in the MWC, and there is a clause in SDSU's agreement with the Little East that allows them to bail if there aren't any other teams in the conference located west of the Rockies. They will follow suit.

As far as these teams coming to the PAC, that option at least makes sense. If I remember right, though, Larry Scott specifically denied having any ambitions of expanding the conference past 12 teams, and that was when Texas, OU, OKst, and Texas Tech were on the table.
    Last edited by NMcat09; 01-04-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Yea I certainly see what you are saying that with the playoff in the future being in an AQ conference may not mean as much and these teams may not move out of their regional conference just for that. The reason I brought this up tho was there was a comment made by some faction of the big 12 about interest in BYU and SDSU and I really just dont want to see them join the Big12 and get comfortable there, when it seems inevitable that in the next few years the Pac-12 will expand. BYU especially as far as its market and expanding the network would be invaluable considering BYU is a national fan base more than just a regional and them especially I worry about losing to the Big12. I think the other move involving adding the 4 big12 teams to the Pac-12 was a little bit too big of a step at that time(that was before the big10 and acc added more teams) and the issue with Texas and there lack of any compromise when it came to the Longhorn Network.
    Last edited by dashots; 01-05-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Rookie

Expansion

Larry Scott has already come out and said that if we go to 14 it's Boise and sdsu. They have had talks before. Sdsu would absolutely choose us over the big 12. Much more conference prestige.

Veteran
    This is the best bet. One school to the North and one to the South of P-14. San Diego has until January 31st to make the deceison on where to play. MWC paid some of the buy out for Boise and will do the same for SDSU. San Diego would bring in a good market for TV an and recuiting. Boise brings the name and game. It was intersting that one of Boise wanted to keep the all blue uniforms for home games as a requirement to coming back to the MWC. Blue uniforms BLUE field.

Quote Originally Posted by catnthewoods View Post
    Larry Scott has already come out and said that if we go to 14 it's Boise and sdsu. They have had talks before. Sdsu would absolutely choose us over the big 12. Much more conference prestige.

I have no doubt theyd prefer the Pac to the big-12 but if the big-12 offers and the pac-12 doesnt then a couple years down the road it might be a different story, they might be happy with their situation. I would looooove the BYU market too. I'm curious about Boise state's fanbase (i.e. how much they make off merchandise, basketball and football attendence, etc etc)I will have to look that up. I just hope we do it sometime early this year and not put off the inevitable.

Veteran
    Don't know where it is going, but BYU is not on the invite list because of reason's other than just sports.
    I love what BYU could bring to the table, but it is not enough unless there are major changes.
    SDSU is already in PAC 12 area. do they really add to the viewing market?
    Boise has a much smaller market, and the novelty would fade if they were a PAC school.
    I like the idea of Oklahoma and State, but if the big12 adds members to get to 16 before us, getting any of those schools will be difficult.
    We needed to get into the Texas market, and TTU wasn't a factor without Texas. They don't really meet the standards.
    Houston would have to make major upgrades. UTEP doesn't do it. Baylor is in the BYU group of no invites. Same with TCU.
    Kansas and State was like taking the ugly step sister to the big dance, but could bring more positive to the table than poeple think if Oklahoma and state partnered with them. Would not get Texas, but Oklahoma would almost get there. would get the Kansas city , and Oklahoma city markets and much of north Texas. Too many if's right now, and the TV contract had to be done, so it was time to move on. We did the right thing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by littlegeorge View Post
    SDSU is already in PAC 12 area. do they really add to the viewing market?
    Boise has a much smaller market, and the novelty would fade if they were a PAC school.
    I think SDSU brings the last major city in California and with their recent basketball revival and bowl game I think SDSU alum and San diego metro area ppl have taken notice and become fans if they weren't already and revived excitement among those that were. I kinda agree with you on the Boise st thing I mean what if they cant continue their success in what has become an extremely good football conference? We then have another Washington state on our hands. On the other hand tho I think they've had a long run, more than a decade now, of being a brand associated with great football so even if they falter slightly, like Utah has, upon entering the PAC I think they could recover.

+ Reply to Thread