Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter  

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SanDiegoRedAndBlue

Thread: Know Your Enemy: Week 12 Utah Utes

Siren Sm Know Your Enemy: Week 12 Utah Utes

Know Your Enemy: Week 12
    Utah Utes (4-6)

(Photo credits: Desert News & Utefans.net)

The Utah Utes began their 2nd full season in the Pac12 as a team that was picked by many to be a spoiler to the USC Trojans national championship aspirations, and challenge for the Pac12 South title. Things have not gone as planned in SLC. A Week 2 loss to in-state rival, Utah State, and an early season, career-ending injury to starting QB Jordan Wynn have derailed any hopes for a story book ending for the Utes in 2012.

All is not lost for the Utes in 2012 though. Utah enters their Week 12 matchup with the Arizona Wildcats only two wins away from bowl eligibility, and still has a game to go versus the lowly Colorado Buffaloes. The Utes seem to have gained a little momentum late in the Pac12 season, winning 2 of their last 3 games following a 4 game losing streak vs some of the best in the Pac12 (ASU, USC, UCLA, & Oregon St). Utah has been very strong at home this season as well, posting an impressive 4-1 record, with their only loss coming to USC. A cold, & loud, home finale on Saturday night should have the Utes feeling good about their chances to upset the visiting Wildcats this coming weekend.

Offense:
    The Utah offense returned 9 starters to an offense that averaged 25 points and 311 yards per game in 2011. With a large amount of the offense returning, Utes fans had optimism that the experienced group would give the team a big boost in offensive production for the 2012 season. Injuries have hit the Utes at some key skill positions though, and the offensive improvement has been modest, with the Utes offense averaging 25.4 PPG through 10 games this season.

QB Jordan Wynn was hopeful that he had put his shoulder injuries (3 shoulder surgeries during his college career) behind him, but just two games into the season, QB Wynn went down with a shoulder injury once again. The injury prompted Wynn to retire from playing football, and instead, finish out his college career on the Utes sideline, mentoring the young QB’s on the Utah roster.

QB Travis Wilson will be starting for the Utes when they face the Arizona Wildcats on Saturday night. QB Wilson has done a decent job for Utah since taking the majority of the snaps in their Week 6 matchup with UCLA. QB Wilson is 2-3 as the starter for Utah this season, and has thrown at least one interception in all five of those starts.

RB John White is the spark plug for the Utah offense. RB White rushed for over 1,500 yards last season, and has gone over the century mark four times this season. Utah is 3-1 in games that RB White rushes for over 100 yards, with the only loss coming to the Washington Huskies last weekend, in which RB White rushed for a season high 142 yards.

Defense:
    The Utes defense brought back seven starters from their 2011 squad, and so far in 2012, has been tough when playing at Rice-Eccles Stadium, where they are giving up only 16.4 PPG. Anchored by top NFL prospect, NT Star Lotulelei, Utah has one of the best run stopping units in the Pac12. The Utes defense has only seen one RB rush for over 100 yards in a game against them this season (Sankey – Washington – 162 yds).

The main reason teams choose to try and pass on the Utes defense, is the run stopping monster in the middle, NT Star Lotilelei. NT Lotilelei was selected as 1st Team All Pac12 and a Morris Award (Outstanding Pac12 Lineman) winner in 2011. NT Lotilelei has been a little inconsistent at times during the 2012 season, but much of that has to do with the constant double teams he has faced throughout the season. The 6’4” 325lb NT Lotelelei should pose a big challenge for RB Kadeem Carey and the Wildcats offensive line this coming weekend.

Quick Hits:
    - Utah has won three in a row vs the Arizona Wildcats, with the most recent being a 34-21 win in Tucson last season. The Utes Special Teams shined in that meeting, in which they were able to block two Arizona punts and stop a fake field goal attempt.

- The Utes have participated in a bowl game every season since 2002, going 8-1 in those games. They will fail to qualify for a bowl game this season if they are unable to beat Arizona and Colorado in their final 2 games.

Be interesting to see how Carey performs against this Defense. It will be another true test and based upon what Ka'Deem has done so far, it would lead us to believe he will be successful agianst the Ute D. It will definitely define what Carey's Soph. season has been like if he can rack up some yards and lead us to another win.

Our Defense really needs to step it up especially against an offense that's lead by a 2nd stringer that's thrown an INT evry start. Get some damn stops or a PICK6 please.

Yes I am looking forward to seeing how our offensive line plays against thier defensive line especially thier star DT. I am hoping that we keep scott on the sidelines to rest and run the ball and pass it very little with denker only when the pack the box. If we can save scott for the asu game and the bowl game and get him much more healthy that would be ideal. I just hope our defense will step up this week on the road

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Utah is a hard team to figure out. They are inconsistent, but do seem like a better team at home. I think it is imperative that we get off to a good start in this game. Hopefully their QB has another game like he did last week (8-23 55 yards, INT) @ Washington. Could definitely see it being a close game. This game will tell us a lot about this team.
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

This will be an interesting game. Especially if Denker is starting. Im expecting Utah to put 7 in the box and run blitz early and often, forcing Denker to try and beat them with the pass. If Scott is playing, then Im not sure they can get away with that. Passing the ball may not be easy whoever is taking the snaps for the Cats, temps will be near freezing and I'm hearing rain is possible. Gonna be tough to grip and/or catch a slick ball.

Cats struggle on the road, and Utah is strong at home. Forgot to mention in my original write up, Utah is averaging 38.2 PPG when playing at home. And since they haven't played Colorado yet, UofA's defense will be the worst they've faced in awhile.

My gut tells me that Utah probably wins a close one. I hope Im wrong though.
    Last edited by BearDown29; 11-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.

we can't allow them to get points on the board quick. We have to start strong, if they get confident early I don't think we can hang. on the flipside of that, if we can run effectively and keep the D guessing, I think we can pull off a win.

also on a side note. i effing hate the Utes. %^$ them &%$ that city and ^%$ that whole state.

Rookie
    Wildcats do not play well outside of Tucson. Expect this to be a close game. How about AZ 38, Utes 32.

Veteran
    I worry about Utah, they are tough at home. They seem to have a good game every other week aned this is the week.

Veteran
    One thing to keep in mind is that Ka'Deem combined for 247 yards and five TDs against Oregon State and Stanford, both of whom have better run defenses than Utah.
    IT'S MILLER TIME likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRedAndBlue View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that Ka'Deem combined for 247 yards and five TDs against Oregon State and Stanford, both of whom have better run defenses than Utah.
    u speak da troof brother. stanford #1 in the nation and osu #10 and let's not forget ok state at #26. Utah is #18, our worst enemy will be the cold, nothing Utah will do that carey or the O-line haven't seen before.

If Utah is smart they will run John White all night ala UCLA Franklin. Their qb is shaky and their wrs have a lot of drops. The d can bend but not break against them. Their oc is horrible at calling games.
    Their d line is solid with Star and the Kruger brothers. Kadeem once he gets through the line could run all night but the oline will have to give ops to do so. Our wrs will destroy their cbs. Austin hill could go for a lot of yards.
    CATS 31 Utes 17

+ Reply to Thread