• 1 Post By TexAZCat
  • 1 Post By Cat Fan09

Thread: Arizona QB depth for next season

Super Moderator

Arizona QB depth for next season

Quarterbacks currently on the Arizona Roster:

13 Jack Nykaza Quarterback 6-1/177 FR/HS Wilmette, Ill. New Trier HS
    17 Josh Kern Quarterback 6-5/197 FR/HS San Antonio, Texas Clark HS
    12 Nick Isham Quarterback 6-0/195 SO/TR Calabasas, Calif. Westlake HS/Louisiana Tech
    7 B.J. Denker Quarterback 6-3/177 JR/TR Torrance, Calif. North Torrance HS/Cerritos College
    9 Javelle Allen Quarterback 6-2/226 FR/HS Prosper, Texas Prosper HS

Denker surprised a lot of people, he did quite well against Colorado.

There will be competition for the starting job and that will push some to the forefront and others relegated to not getting in the game. The current freshmen are still getting used to the system and the speed of the game.

I don't see an incoming freshman making an impact at QB next season. We need to be using the redshirt option and get these guys another year in the program to avoid the hassles we faced this year due to lack of depth across the board.
    Arizona Wildcat Football - "ALL IN"
    "HARD EDGE"
    Every Down - BEAR DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by TexAZCat View Post
    I don't see an incoming freshman making an impact at QB next season. We need to be using the redshirt option and get these guys another year in the program to avoid the hassles we faced this year due to lack of depth across the board.
    I'd guess Anu will make a push for the spot. I'm not sure he'll get it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some.

Veteran
    I think it will be close, but my bet is on:

Isham
    Denker
    Allen

With Solomon redshirting.

Unless Solomon is can beat out everyone else on that list (which some people say is possible), then I don't think we should blow a year of his eligibility.
    TexAZCat and The folo like this.

Veteran
    Anu is the real deal and I think, despite his inexperience, that he will be in the mix, turning heads come fall.

His resume is, bye far, the most impressive of all QBs on the roster.

just know this. If anu can bump out that list of QB's, we will be a deadly offensive squad.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown05 View Post
    I think it will be close, but my bet is on:

Isham
    Denker
    Allen

With Solomon redshirting.

Unless Solomon is can beat out everyone else on that list (which some people say is possible), then I don't think we should blow a year of his eligibility.
    I like this order a lot. Isham may turn heads. dude is fast too. Everyone looks like world beaters in highlight films but look at how well he throws it. Hitting receivers in stride consistently. Also, go to 1:49. Nice little play there.

Veteran
    Do we know if Solomon is graduating early? If he is here for Spring ball, he will have a real shot at starting, as True Freshman...IMO

Veteran
    I agree that Solomon has a legit chance to make an impact like Brett Hundley did for UCLA as a Freshman. I don't know if Anu will get the opportunity, though. UCLA doesn't have the depth that Arizona will have next season & Allen/Isham/Denker will make a push for the job (although I wouldn't count out Kern either).

Rookie
    If I remember correctly but someone stated Kern is no longer an option due to moving positions! Or am I wrong?

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Im not as high on Denker as others. I think Solomon and Isham have higher upside and since they are all on the same relative skill level now I think we might as well develop a QB that can start beyond just next year. Keep in mind Colorado makes any QB look good.

Sent from my motorola atrix 4g using tapatalk 2
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azcatfan_84 View Post
    If I remember correctly but someone stated Kern is no longer an option due to moving positions! Or am I wrong?
    Not sure if its official or not but ya he's likely to switch positions.

Sent from my motorola atrix 4g using tapatalk 2
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IT'S MILLER TIME View Post
    Im not as high on Denker as others. I think Solomon and Isham have higher upside and since they are all on the same relative skill level now I think we might as well develop a QB that can start beyond just next year. Keep in mind Colorado makes any QB look good.
    The only reason why I like Isham and Denker over Solomon is that they have real game experience. Solomon has promise, that's for sure. But the college game is different. Which is why I suspect Denker would win out in the spring.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityCats View Post
    UCLA doesn't have the depth that Arizona will have next season & Allen/Isham/Denker will make a push for the job (although I wouldn't count out Kern either).
    UCLA had better depth. They have Prince and Brehaut, who both had substantive game experience. Granted, their performance was never up to par, aside from Prince showing grit from time to time.

Anu is the best in-coming QB Arizona has had in memorable history. He will more than likely come in as a 4-time state champion in the state of Nevada AND their non-conference schedule as a school ranks with the best in the nation. He is elite talent, who has played and beaten elite talent.

Anu>the rest

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TRQ3 View Post
    UCLA had better depth. They have Prince and Brehaut, who both had substantive game experience. Granted, their performance was never up to par, aside from Prince showing grit from time to time.

Anu is the best in-coming QB Arizona has had in memorable history. He will more than likely come in as a 4-time state champion in the state of Nevada AND their non-conference schedule as a school ranks with the best in the nation. He is elite talent, who has played and beaten elite talent.

Anu>the rest
    I agree that Anu > All. As far as UCLA goes...Brehaut had a decent start last season before he went down. Other than that, he and Prince have underperformed. There's a reason that Hundley beat out two Seniors for the job this year.

I think it comes down to Isahm and Anu. I liked Allen's talent coming into this season but apparently he hasn't quite lived up to expectations in practice.

Super Moderator
    Allen will get his shot in Spring Ball, anyone already here in Spring will be way ahead of newcomers.
    Familiar with the schemes, the speed of the game, conditioning. This is a hard system to just walk into.
    KansasCityCats likes this.
    Arizona Wildcat Football - "ALL IN"
    "HARD EDGE"
    Every Down - BEAR DOWN

I suppose the bright side with how young our QB's are is that by the time they are jr's and sr's theyll have spent alot of time in the system and hopefully developed well.
    IT'S MILLER TIME likes this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TexAZCat View Post
    Allen will get his shot in Spring Ball, anyone already here in Spring will be way ahead of newcomers.
    Familiar with the schemes, the speed of the game, conditioning. This is a hard system to just walk into.
    Good point. If Solomon starts without any prior knowledge of RR's' scheme...then he definitely EARNED the job.

+ Reply to Thread