Brought to you by the Coast 2 Coast Hoops Network

Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter  

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WellDigger
  • 1 Post By Summercat

Thread: TWO DLs on a Mission 2014

Uaflag1 TWO DLs on a Mission 2014

OK . . . I confess, I cannot stand the wait! Keep thinking that some chatter, AT LEAST, will show up here or in the shoutbox. Driving me nuts, so in the middle of the night, decided that I would do some research on these two young men, Sani Fuimaono and Aialua Fanene, BOTH currently on LDS missions somewhere. It appears they both have one year playing and will compete for positions in FALL 2014.

Looks like we will not see them until January, 2014, so they will not play for UA before 2014 season, as already stated by some in the media and on this board. For anyone who wants to know a little more about them, it is below.

PLZ note: The ht & wt for them comes directly from the ArizonaWildcat.com website. Just think another year plus -- AND they've worked to stay in 1/2 decent shape, and in their early 20's ... should be a couple of great additions.

#98 Aiulua Fanene

6-4 295 lbs DE/DT Born NOV 1992
    Scout Defense MVP for 2010
    RS for FALL Season 2010

Aiulua Fanene made his national television debut last month, when he appeared in a "60 Minutes" segment about the popularity of football in American Samoa. He'll return to the airwaves starting this fall. Fanene, a defensive tackle from Pago Pago's Tafuna High School, signed a national letter of intent with the Arizona Wildcats on Thursday. --- AZ Daily Star/FEB 12, 2010

Aiulua Fanene has a system. Whenever the Arizona Wildcats defensive tackle wants to call home, he first phones his brother, Jonathan, in Ohio. Jonathan Fanene, a defensive end with the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals, punches a few buttons and then connects his younger brother to Nu'uuli, American Samoa, so he can connect with their parents. It's a complex, time-consuming process with one obvious reward. "
    --- AZ Daily Star/APR 05, 2011

#99 Saneilia Fuimaono

6-3 306lbs DT Born JUN 1992
    Signed LOI FEB 200
    Grayshirt - 2010 Season
    FR/HS – 2011 Fall Season
    LDS Mission – JAN 2012

Sani Fuimaono was ready to start his Arizona Wildcats football career in July. He moved to Tucson from Honolulu, enrolled in classes and found a place to live. He even made friends. Then, weeks after he arrived, Fuimaono went back home. Questions followed him. --- AZ Daily Star/ NOV 19, 2010

Taking 'grayshirt' year off did wonders for lineman Fuimaono ///// Freshman Sani Fuimaono spent the last two weeks battling players from Stanford and Oregon, tiring work for even the most experienced Arizona Wildcats football player. "Physically, I'm pretty sore," he said. "The game at this level is very quick, and the intensity is pretty high." --- AZ Daily Star/ SEP 29, 2011

Arizona Daily Wildcat :: One year's mission

While on his mission, Fuimaono will be away from football and Arizona for two years, but he says he’ll have to work out one hour per day on his mission. The rules have been changed to cater to athletes, he said.

“About five, six years ago, they were losing a bunch of guys playing Division I football so they were able to allow the Division I athletes to train,” Fuimaono said. “I have that plan going on so I’m just going to try and train and stay in football shape as much as possible.”

But Salave’a explained staying in shape isn’t the only factor in a situation like Fuimaono’s. By being absent for two years, the lineman and his teammates lose chemistry.

“You’re trying to build something, you’re trying to build continuity, get a little history going and of course whenever you stop with that your progress and everything stops as well,” Salave’a said. “You never know what comes back after the fact.” --- AZ Daily Wildcat

--- ArizonaWildcats.com FB Roster Profile:

Saneilia Fuimaono Profile - ARIZONAWILDCATS.COM - The University of Arizona Wildcats Official Athletic Site
    Aiulua Fanene Profile - ARIZONAWILDCATS.COM - The University of Arizona Wildcats Official Athletic Site
    Last edited by WellDigger; 02-05-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Palpalife likes this.
    De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites - Do not wish ill for your enemies, plan it. --- Latin Quote

thank you sir.

You are welcome sir.

The future looks bright, tho' it may take another couple of years before the team can breathe easier. AZ will still be a bit thin this year at DL, but it's coming along.

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    They may be losing some weight on their missions, but I'm sure they can bulk up when they get to Arizona. Thanks for sharing all of that Welldigger!
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Quote Originally Posted by IT'S MILLER TIME View Post
    They may be losing some weight on their missions, but I'm sure they can bulk up when they get to Arizona. Thanks for sharing all of that Welldigger!
    Not that I had much to lose but I lost weight on my mission where I was. LOTS and LOTS of walking!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    WellDigger likes this.

+ Reply to Thread