Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By IT'S MILLER TIME
  • 1 Post By ArizonaD54
  • 1 Post By Wize
  • 1 Post By BearDown05

Thread: HUGE NEWS: Arizona gets commitment from former USC 4-star QB

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar

HUGE NEWS: Arizona gets commitment from former USC 4-star QB

Quarterback Jesse Scroggins committed to Arizona today. Out of high school he was Rivals 5th best Quarterback in the 2010 class and commited to USC. He transferred to a community college due to grade issues. He has great physical tools and if he can improve his accuracy his upside is high.
    Last edited by IT'S MILLER TIME; 12-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    BearDown29 and UACHAMPS like this.
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Veteran
    So who is it?

His stats this year at El Camino Community College weren't amazing, but don't know how good the players around him were.

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Quote Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush View Post
    So who is it?
    my bad forgot to title the link so it didn't show up...it is Jesse Scroggins.

Veteran
    The USC blog...Grades wasn't the only issue.

"Scroggins had fallen hopelessly behind future-QB competitors Cody Kessler and Max Wittek, despite having a semester’s head start on them. Barring a Curtis McNeal-esque turnaround — a depth-chart climb that’s harder at quarterback than any other position — Scroggins wasn’t going to play at USC. (The arrival next spring of top prospect Max Browne would have made the ascent that much steeper.) Despite publicly stating otherwise, Scroggins undoubtedly concluded the same and saw that the only path to playing time was to transfer. He struggled with injuries and the playbook at USC and never displayed the pocket composure needed to master the position. But that’s what fresh starts are for."

Super Moderator
    Guy isn't suited for a pro style offense, yet he went to USC and El Camino JC who both ran a pro style offense. Let's hope things are different in Rich Rod's offense. Dude has a massive arm.

Veteran
    Not to put a damper on things, but he didn't really light things up at El Camino College.

Football @ El Camino College

Maybe it was the talent around him, perhaps the wrong system, or the fact he didn't start every game....Not sure why, but time will tell. I do like the fact we have another talented player at that position. Competition can just make us better.

GO CATS!

He still has developing to do, but Rich Rod, Rod Smith, and Calvin Magee are great at developing QBs...it will be an interesting Quarterback competition to say the least.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by UACHAMPS View Post
    Not to put a damper on things, but he didn't really light things up at El Camino College.

Football @ El Camino College

Maybe it was the talent around him, perhaps the wrong system, or the fact he didn't start every game....Not sure why, but time will tell. I do like the fact we have another talented player at that position. Competition can just make us better.

GO CATS!
    Picked a system that USC runs, which he was never suited for in the first place.

He has 2 years of eligibility left. He can play right away since he was at a Juco this year and since he redshirted in 2010 at USC he'll have 2 years to use those 2 years of eligibility.

Veteran
    Interesting to see who the qb will be next year

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

His high schools stats look more impressive than his JUCO stats...injuries have definitely hindered him from realizing his potential thus far in his college career.

From USC's player profile of him:

2011: Scroggins was a backup quarterback as a redshirt freshman in 2011. He appeared in only 1 game in 2011 (taking the final snap against Washington, but he did not throw a pass). He missed USC's first 6 games after having pre-season surgery on his right thumb and hand.

2010: Scroggins redshirted as a freshman quarterback in 2010, his first year at USC.

HIGH SCHOOL: His 2009 honors included Under Armour All-American, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Prep Star Dream Team, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Orange County Register Fab 15 second team, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Cal-Hi Sports All-State second team, All-CIF Pac-5 Division first team and All-Moore League MVP as a senior quarterback at Lakewood (Calif.) High. He completed 163-of-258 passes (63.2%) for 2,395 yards and 35 TDs with just 5 interceptions in 2009 (he also ran for 3 TDs).

As a junior in 2008, he completed 176-of-314 passes (56.1%) for 2,462 yards with 23 TDs and 10 interceptions.

As a sophomore in 2007, he completed 101-of-166 passes (60.8%) for 1,517 yards with 17 TDs and 3 interceptions.

The competition at the QB position will bring the best out of the kids... may the best man win.
    IT'S MILLER TIME likes this.

Super Moderator
    He'll be enrolling in the Spring it sounds like.
    ArizonaD54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wize View Post
    He'll be enrolling in the Spring it sounds like.
    Nice! Invaluable.

Veteran
    Agreed nice addition

Interesting, the quarterback competition will be fierce this year. Nobody has it locked down and 5 guys competing for it right now. Really am hoping for some great defensive commitments to go along with our offense though. Wondering if we could see a key player of two switch sides.

he was listed a pro style qb out of high school and went to two colleges that ran the pro style offense. But, he is a dual threat qb? Either he has the worst people running his recruitment or he may be a pro style qb.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    he was listed a pro style qb out of high school and went to two colleges that ran the pro style offense. But, he is a dual threat qb? Either he has the worst people running his recruitment or he may be a pro style qb.
    He's not a running quarterback. He's a pro style QB who can run.

Veteran
    I wouldn't pay attention to the Rivals info (that also listed his 1600 SAT score). Scroggins is a ridiculous athlete and I would love to see him compete for the job. If anybody can develop the kid...it's RichRod

Veteran
    Jesse Scroggins #15 Quarterback Lakewood High School Watch in High Quality - YouTube

Kid has quite an arm on him. It's probably the offense he was running, but there weren't too many highlights where he showcased his feet. I'm assuming RichRod knows the kid and knows that he will kill it in this offense. At least until Solomon is ready.

yeah he def looks to throw the ball first. if he's as athletic as some of the stuff i'm reading says he is, the QB battle will be insane this year.

He's not a running quarterback. He's a pro style QB who can run.
    so why didnt he have great success in a pro style offense at a community college Thomas the train conductor?

Super Moderator
    so why didnt he have great success in a pro style offense at a community college Thomas the train conductor?
    You've got me. I'm not making excuses for his ****ty JUCO year.

Veteran
    Hey if nothing else, Scroggins will push Anu to be that much better. Whoever wins the starting job, it seems like we have depth at the QB position.

Veteran
    I wonder if 1-2 more guys will slide to other positions alongside Kern. As BD05 mentioned...we're going to be deep at QB

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityCats View Post
    I wonder if 1-2 more guys will slide to other positions alongside Kern. As BD05 mentioned...we're going to be deep at QB
    We're not going to be that deep.

Anyways here's a highlight reel of a game Scroggins played in JUCO this year. His team got worked, but he's got some nice highlights. Check out the bomb he throws at 1:12.

We're not going to be that deep.

Anyways here's a highlight reel of a game Scroggins played in JUCO this year. His team got worked, but he's got some nice highlights. Check out the bomb he throws at 1:12.

He's got plenty of arm strength. Would have to play the safeties deep against him.

Sent from my motorola atrix 4g using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by IT'S MILLER TIME View Post
    He's got plenty of arm strength. Would have to play the safeties deep against him.

haha you said plenty. that's an effing howitzer that kid has.

Veteran
    Yeah and that was against the Cincinnati Bengals! Wow, impressive.
    Arizona likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown05 View Post
    Yeah and that was against the Cincinnati Bengals! Wow, impressive.
    Lmao!

+ Reply to Thread