• 1 Post By misterx
  • 1 Post By Wize
  • 1 Post By soazbnb
  • 1 Post By NMcat09
  • 2 Post By BillBrasky3

Thread: 2016 QB Shea Patterson commits

Veteran

2016 QB Shea Patterson commits

2016 Hidalgo (Tex.) quarterback Shea Patterson, who just came off of an unofficial visit to Tucson, just committed to Arizona.
    TexAZCat likes this.

Veteran
    IT'S MILLER TIME likes this.

Head Administrator IT'S MILLER TIME's Avatar
    Head Administrator of www.GoAzWildcats.com

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Very early verbal commit, but hopefully he develops well.

email me @ erikforstell@gmail.com if you are interested in writing/contributing for the site

Super Moderator
    Lol will be interesting to see if this commitment holds on both sides. We've got 4 years to figure it out.
    Summercat likes this.

A freshamn QB starting for Varsity in Texas is pretty impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Summercat View Post
    A freshamn QB starting for Varsity in Texas is pretty impressive!
    No kidding, he's pretty tall for a damn freshman too

Veteran
    Kid is going to be a beast by the time he graduates. I just hope he'll still be committed by then.

Congrats to Coach for gettin' them early and congrats to a smart kid for going to the UA.

Veteran
    He looks like he's already got some speed. There's definite potential there for him to build on.

all the makings for something real special. keep your head on staight kid, and you will go places.

Does anybody get a Tim Tebow-esque feel from this kid? Maybe not in terms of his skill set, but more in terms of hype.

Veteran
    RR gets them early. great undercover work.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NMcat09 View Post
    Does anybody get a Tim Tebow-esque feel from this kid? Maybe not in terms of his skill set, but more in terms of hype.
    He has nowhere near the same type of hype as Tebow. There's no national hype about this kid.

2016 QB Shea Patterson commits to Arizona Wildcats - ESPN

boom. national hype initiated.

Quarterback Shea Patterson, at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, has the physical build and arm strength of a grown man. His game film highlights are impressive.

Then, you take a look at his face. No facial hair. Bubbly smile. Boyish looks.

Because, as a freshman, he’s still a boy, of course.

The difference in Patterson -- a member of the class of 2016 from Hidalgo, Texas, in the state’s Rio Grande Valley -- and many other freshmen who play high school football is that Patterson can now say his college future is solidified. Patterson received an offer from Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez during an unofficial visit on Friday, and he verbally committed to the Wildcats shortly afterward.

“The place is amazing,” Patterson said. Right when I got there, I took a tour of campus. It was beautiful. I took a tour around the football field, locker room and the weight room. It just felt like a right fit.”

Many might think a freshman committing -- let alone a program offering a freshman -- might be something of a stretch. Hidalgo coach Scott Ford will be the first to argue that Patterson is not the average 15-year-old.

He certainly didn’t put up average statistics. Patterson was named the MVP of his district, accounting for roughly 2,600 total yards and 24 touchdowns. His numbers are even more impressive considering he missed a few weeks of the season with a broken left wrist, which is his non-throwing wrist.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to coach some good high school players, but he’s head and shoulders above the best,” Ford said. “There’s really not much he can’t do with the football. He’s so goal-oriented, and I’m really looking forward to watching him grow more.”

One of Patterson’s best highlights of the season came on Nov. 2, when he threw for 583 yards and six touchdowns in a win against Progreso, Texas. He also rushed for a touchdown in the game.

Patterson’s father said his son’s highlight tape reached roughly 25 college programs. When they found out that Arizona was showing interest, they decided to make a trip to Tucson, Ariz., to not only visit the campus but also see family who lived nearby.

“We were very proactive with his video, because he had a great freshman year,” Sean Patterson said. “We forwarded it to schools, and they saw the video. Arizona was one of the schools to show a lot of interest, so we decided to come for a visit.

“Shea is a mature 15-year-old kid, and I told him if it feels right and the offer, go ahead and do it. He loved it. He said it was perfect for him.”

As an eighth-grader, Patterson participated in the Eastbay Youth All-American Bowl at the Alamodome in San Antonio back in January. He was a starter for the Unlimited West squad. It was the second time he played in the bowl game. The first time was in 2011 as a seventh-grader.

Patterson, who can throw the football 65 yards, next will prepare to play for Team USA’s 16-and-under team at the International Bowl in Round Rock, Texas, in February. He was the starting quarterback for Team USA’s Under-15 Red squad earlier this year.

Patterson’s blood line has plenty of athleticism. His father, who stands 6-5, played college basketball at Division II Wisconsin-Parkside. His grandfather is the late George Patterson, a 6-8 athlete who played center in the NBA for the Detroit Pistons in the late 1960s.

Additionally, Patterson’s older brother Sean Jr. just finished his senior year as the quarterback for Duquesne. Sean was a three-year starter who threw for more than 6,500 yards and 63 touchdowns in his college career.

Shea now will get the opportunity to follow in his brother’s footsteps. The best part about it is that he’ll have the chance to get better with three more seasons of high school ball.

“I don’t have to worry about anything for the next years. I think that’s the best part,” he said. “I can just go out and help my team win football games and just enjoy my high school career.”
    NMcat09 likes this.

Hopefully over the next 4 fricking years, he not only improves, but actually sticks with his commitment. A verbal commit from a junior is damn near worthless. A freshman? Not holding my breath. Either he blows up and de-commits or never really gets any better and Arizona gets him over Akron and UT-San Antonio.

Veteran
    Everything from the article is a positive. Tall family, willingness to learn, and his stats as a freshman are ridiculous (considering the fact that he missed part of the season). RichRod's early offer will likely stick with Patterson because he knows that Arizona had faith early in the recruiting process.

Obviously no commitment is set in stone until signing day of a recruit's senior year, but it sounds like Shea and his family are very committed to Arizona and are very excited. This kid comes from a great bloodline and has a lot of potential.

Verbal Commitment: Shea Patterson to Arizona | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories

It's wierd, i kinda take it personally when people decommit or just not choose UofA. I chose UofA so thus I believe Arizona is the best damn university in the world. Needless to say I hope I get to welcome this young man to campus summer of '16. Bear Down is a way of life Shea, remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by soazbnb View Post
    Suck it, Trebek (Wize)! LOL

Besides, Tebow didn't get any real national hype until his sophomore or junior year.
    Last edited by NMcat09; 12-13-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    Palpalife likes this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IT'S MILLER TIME View Post
    Obviously no commitment is set in stone until signing day of a recruit's senior year, but it sounds like Shea and his family are very committed to Arizona and are very excited. This kid comes from a great bloodline and has a lot of potential.

Verbal Commitment: Shea Patterson to Arizona | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories
    Holy crap, the way that newscaster pronounces Rich RRRRRodriguez is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown05 View Post
    Holy crap, the way that newscaster pronounces Rich RRRRRodriguez is just too much.
    Haha ya

Sent from my motorola atrix 4g using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown05 View Post
    Holy crap is right! I had no idea you could brutalize Rodriguez like that.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    2016 Hidalgo (Tex.) quarterback Shea Patterson, who just came off of an unofficial visit to Tucson, just committed to Arizona.
    Thank God! I was starting to get worried if we were going to be able to fill that hole at qb in 2016!

+ Reply to Thread